What is erectile dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction - also known as ED or impotence - is when the penis fails to become or stay erect during sexual activity.
While having difficulty getting or maintaining an erection sometimes isn't a cause for worry, ED is an ongoing issue which can affect self-confidence, be a factor in relationship problems, and cause stress. ED could also be the sign of an underlying health condition which requires treatment.
Symptoms of erectile dysfunction:
The predominant signs of ED are difficulty getting an erection and difficulty keeping an erection sufficient for sexual performance.
If you are concerned about ED, you can speak to Mr Kaba.
Causes of erectile dysfunction:
There are various causes:
- Vasculogenic (arterial/venous disease).
- Neuropathic (diabetes/post prostatectomy).
- Drugs (anti-hypertensives/anti-depressants).
- Hormonal imbalance (low testosterone/Thyroid dysfunction/high prolactin).
- Penile disorders – Peyronie’s disease.
- Psychological (anxiety/depression).
- Advancing age.
- Combinations of the above.
Treatment options for erectile dysfunction:
At an initial consultation, you will most likely be given a physical examination and be asked questions about your medical history. For cases in which it is thought that there is an underlying condition involved, further tests may be required, including blood tests, a detailed examination of the penis and testicles. In addition imaging in the form of a – doppler ultrasound/MRI of the penis may be required.
Mr Kaba will advise on the right treatment for underlying conditions which could be causing your ED. Treatment options include:
- Treat any reversible causes
- Psychosexual counselling
- Trial of PDE5 inhibitor tablets (Sildenafil/Tadalafil/Vardenafil/Avanafil)
- Vacuum pump devise
- Intra-penile injection of Alprostadil/Aviptadil/Intra-urethral pellet or cream of Alprostadil
- Penile prosthesis (malleable/inflatable)-offered at tertiary centres
State-of-the-art treatments and investigations
Mr Kaba performs a wide range of cutting-edge, advanced urology treatments. He is skilled in minimally invasive procedures, offering more options to patients in their treatment of urologic disease.